Monday, February 19, 2007

Intelligence


Why is it newsworthy that this woman shaved off her hair?

I get my hair cut all the time. No cameras ever flash in my face as a result. She's not the only shaver. Plenty of women just like it, and there is also a large group who can't take clumps of hair falling out due to chemotherapy and feel like they're exerting control over their suddenly chaotic lives by shaving it off. No one follows them around taking pictures.

All this leads me to believe that the argument on the appropriate spot of the political spectrum for American media completely misses the point. The question is not whether media are liberal or regressive. It's that American media are largely so unintelligent. Given whether Brittany Spears cut her hair off or whether we're going to war with Iran real soon and why, I choose the latter. I need the latter. So if it's really just a response to customer demand, I say: give us a real choice, and see what we choose.

To wit: bars in Philly were quite concerned that they'd lose money when smoking was banned. It's been a little while now and people are realizing it's nice to come home from a night out and not reek of smoke. Now when I have a choice b/w bars that don't have smoke and bars in the county right next door, where smoking is still allowed, I'm not likely to go to the smoker bars.

Hey, here's a thought: how about if we just stop assuming everyone is a complete cretin and start treating consumers as if they're intelligent people?

No comments: